Banner: Knocknarea at Sunset.
According to Petrie's records, up to six circles were destroyed in this area. There are many stray boulders in this area, with a large cluster piled up around a water hole just out of this picture to the right.

Site 48

Site 48 is a dolmen with a large rough capstone. The circle is long gone; a stone which stood nearby until 1985 may have been a circle stone. Listoghil is hidden from view by a low hill. Circle 49 is about 100 meters to the west. Petrie's and Wood-Martin's reports are given below.

No. 48. Situated in the N.E. angle of the great field mentioned above (dolmen-circle). (This and the ones which follow up to No. 59 inclusive are in the lands of Carrowmore.) "Of this circle, which appears to have been of great size, only one stone remains, but its cromleac is perfect. It consists of supporting stones and one covering-stone, which is 6 feet in length and breadth. The remaining stone of the circle is about 5 feet in height, and is 38 feet from the cromleac, which would give a diameter of at least 76 feet to the circle in its perfect state."- Petrie.

The capstone of the dolmen at Site 48.

"The covering-stone is slightly displaced. The chamber is beneath the surface level, and, without removing the table stone, could be partially excavated. The internment was (found to be) greatly disturbed. fragments of bone, and two pieces of charcoal. The contents were twenty-seven fragments of bone, and two pieces of charcoal. Some of the bones were certainly animal (as a vertebra, piece of the frontal bone, and two teeth); others doubtful."--Wood-Martin.

Some of the destroyed circles on the south side of Carrowmore, drawn by William Wakeman in 1879. Image © Sligo County Library