The inner kerb of Site K at Newgrange. Site L is just beyond, and the great mound of Newgrange is across the hedge.
"Behold the two paps of the king's consort
From a dindshenchas poem entitled Brug na Boinne by Macnia mac Oengusa, Book of Leinster, 1160.
The Boyne Valley has some 40 neolithic monuments all clustered within the Bend of the river Boyne. Aside from the famous mound, there are several other monuments on the ridge of Newgrange. There are three smaller mounds, two to the west and one, Site Z to the east of Newgrange, and there may well have been a fourth mound, Z1 on the east side. These very interesting monuments were excavated by O'Kelly in 1965 and 1966 during his work at Newgrange.
"About a hundred yards distant from this mount [Newgrange], are placed two other pyramids, but of a much smaller size, not above a fourth part as big, and like it, are both encompassed with a circle of stones, set at some distance each from another, round their bottoms; but these stones bear a sort of proportion to the dimensions of the mount they surround, and therefore are abundantly less than those encompassing the larger mount. As yet we know not what may be the fashions or inward contrivance of these two smaller mounts, because their caves or passages leading to them have not been hitherto discovered; but such an attempt were easy, by reason of the smallness of the mounts, did any person's leisure or curiosity incline them after such antiquities"
Sir Thomas Molyneux, 1711
Site K is probably the older of the two mounds and is an extremely interesting monument. It is about 20 meters in diameter and has 34 kerbstones, one bearing engravings. The chamber is undifferentiated, but has a small triangular 'annex' added to the right side, which was not accessable from the chamber. The passage is 9 meters long and opens towards the south. The passage and chamber were seperated by a decorated sillstone with interesting carvings on both sides. Seven stones bearing decoration were found in total at Site K.
Site K during the 1966 excavations, showing the first phase of the monument before it was extended.
The monument was built in two phases; the smaller inner monument can be see in the excavation photo above, is 8 meters in diameter with a passage 5 meters long. An unusual feature, a ditch was dug around the original monument, 3 meters out from the kerb. At some later stage the passage was extended and a new outer kerb was added bringing the diameters to 20 meters. A smaller inner ring of boulders was found between the chamber and the original kerb on the west side. Such inner rings are found at several other sites such as nearby Knowth, Townleyhall and Carrowmore. Also during the excavation, a displaced capstone was discovered, pushed down behind the chamber. A blocking stone was found in the entrance to the passage.
Claire O'Kelly's plan of Site K.
The only find from Site K came from the chamber: a small white marble, possibly made of hard chalk. It has been speculated that these marbles, which are often found at these sites, may represent a seed, or the soul of the individual who was cremated. Several were found in the chamber of Newgrange. They are usually burnt and cracked by the heat of the cremation pyre.
An interesting decorated stone from the kerb of Site L. After Claire O'Kelly.
The mound of Site L was largely destroyed by the time it was excavated. These lands were part of the 'Grange' of Melifont Abbey, and during medieval times the land was ploughed frequently. The mound was about 23 meters in diameter and probably had a large cruciform chamber which opened towards the south. Much damage was done to this mound by the building of a lime kiln in the passageway. Finally, the ESB erected some poles on the site, digging three holes and causing yet more damage. The mound of Site L is unusual in that it is mainly composed of sand, mixed with turves. Six decorated stones were found at this site. A seventh, which was illustrated by Lhuyd's draftsman in 1699, has vanished. An illustration of this stone survives in the Stowe manuscript.
These sites are on private land beside the Newgrange compound. They can be accessed by an overgrown stile in the ditch near the entrance/bus stop at Newgrange.
Looking north into the passage of Site K, in the field to the west of Newgrange. The passage extension outside the original kerb can be clearly seen, as can the blocking stone.